Meaning of the "smiley symbol" in MARK V csp file

M

mhkhan

in the csp file of MARK V control system, can any body tell me what EXACTLY the "smiley symbol" mean in the BBL logics?

mhkhan,

It's presumed you're referring SPECIFICALLY to the CSP.PRN file.

It means EXACTLY that you are using a font to view the file that is not compatible with the font used to create the file.

I have seen the smiley face appear where a page break is supposed to occur. I have seen it appear inside a BBL where there is supposed to be a circle (a summing junction). But, every time I have seen it it appears because a different font is being used to view the file than the one used to create the file.

Basic ASCII text characters (I forget which character set), but if you--like most people--are trying to use a MS-Windows application to view the ASCII text file (CSP.PRN, or CSP_XREF.PRN) that means a font (character set) is being used that is likely NOT compatible with the generic ASCII character set.

GE sometimes (consistently inconsistently, that is) the font csp.ttf on operators using MS-Windows. If that font is on the hard drive, you can add it to the Font Directly (if it's not already there) and then choose it from the drop-down list of fonts in the application you are using to view the ASCII text files.

If you could be more specific about where you see the smiley face symbol in the CSP.PRN file, and provide the name of the font you are using to view the file, we might be able to help you find the cross-reference to say which character the smiley face is trying to represent. Tell us, also, what application you are using to view the file (MS-Word, or MS-Wordpad, etc.).

If csp.ttf is not on the hard drive of the operator interface (GE Mark V HMI), and you can get a copy of WS Windows Line & Box Draw font (not currently being provided by Microsoft with MW-Windows) that is also a very good choice of font to use.

In general you want to use a fixed-pitch font that is as plain as possible. Courier is pretty good and comes with most versions of MS-Windows. Sometimes, Times New Roman also works pretty well.

I think newer GE Mark V HMIs also might have a font called csp_font.ttf. But that's only if the commissioning field service person put it on the HMI; GE didn't put it on the HMIs as a standard.

Hope this helps!

When you use Dynamic Rung Display to view the CSP, or when you use the CSP Sequence Editor to view the file, do you see unusual characters? If not, it's a pretty safe bet that whatever application you are using to view the ASCII text files (CSP.PRN, CSP_XREF.PRN) is not using a font that is compatible with generic ASCII text characters.