S7 PLC as a MODBUS slave

F

Fatima

I am new to PLC's and I would like to let u guys know first that i am using TIA portal for Plc S7-1200 simulations. Now I want to see how this MODBUS is working. i want to make my PLC slave modbus and my PC as master modbus using MODBUS tcp. Please help me out how to implement this all.

S
Have never done it using the Siemens Ethernet port, but I have done that on a 315-2DP using a TCP-Ethernet bridge from Ewon. I had no end of problems with the manufacturing and distrbution channel when I did this about 7 years ago, but the device itself was pretty good.

The only technical issue that I recall is that there are several config files stored in the device, accessible via FTP, and they have a CSV extension, but are actually delimited with semicolons. Excel auto-opens the file because CSV associates with Excel, and it displays correctly because it doesn't mind the semicolon delimitation, but you make changes, save them, and the resulting file doesn't work. You don't know why because you can't see the delimiters when viewing the file, and Excel stupidly assumes that you want commas as the delimiter in a "Comma Separated Value" file. Concept is too difficult for the ACTL, the manufacturer, apparently.

S
Forgot to mention in my previous post. The reason I distinguished between tech and business aspects is that they're now distributed through new channels, Quantum Automation for example. Haven't bought any Ewon stuff from them but have been doing business with them for years, and would have no hesitation about doing so if I needed it.