Power supply impedance

S

Sam

Gents, please help me with this.

I have a 3KWatt inverter that will supply 220VAC on a AWG14 power cable. I can and know how to find the resistance per meter of the cable so that is not a problem. The problem is that I must connect x6 220VAC to 12VDC power supplies (Basically battery charger)in parallel on the cable at various locations.

Each battery charger (PS) will supply 12VDC to x4 12DC electronic units. Unsure how much amps each electronic unit will pull but we know we can use x4 electronic units on one power supply in normal conditions like in a workshop, and the power supply will work like that for weeks without heating up.

My difficulty is to try and calculate beforehand what the impedance of each power supply is since if I know that I will be able to calculate the total amps that will be drawn by these powers supplies and then might also be able to calculate beforehand how long the UPS will last in case of a mains power failure. I also need to calculate the volt drop over each power supply as well as the total VD in order to see if the power will still be enough at the last powers supply which will be 3Km away from the UPS. So yes the cable will be 3Km long. I can find the wattage of the power supplies on their little data plates but I am not sure if that can be used to calculate the impedance directly.

Also is this wattage on the name plate for the in or output of the power supply unit. My way of thinking is that the wattage they give on the power supplies name plate will be for the output that the power supply will be able to do and not the data for the input.

I also understand that the impedance of a AC circuit is a very complex (cap + induct + reactance, and all that - too much for me) business and that it cannot just be measured with a multi meter like a simple DC resistance but surely there must be a way to calculate it?

C

Curt Wuollet

I would say only very generally and not really. In addition to the normal calculations which assume sine waveforms, the power factor figures in and rectifiers tend to draw current in very short intervals which means the harmonic content on a circuit with a load entirely of power supplies will probably be high and unknown. But regardless of all that, 14 AWG sounds really, really, light for a 3km run. And no, I didn't calculate that.

Regards
cww