Electrical Engineering-Transformer

S

Santanu Das

I know that ratio of no. of turns is equal to ratio of the Secondary voltage to Primary Voltage. But i want to know how to calculate the absolute value of no. of turns say in primary of a 220kv by 132Kv transformer (360MVA)? I heard that 1.5 turn volt is universal for all transformer that is for one turn its 1.5v. So for 220Kv its 220000/1.5 no. of turns. Its it so??

Please explain me Sir

C

Curt Wuollet

I wouldn't bet on it. About the only way to know _exactly_ how many turns there are on it would be to unwind it. You could get a pretty close estimate if you knew the number of secondary turns. And there is no particular reason that a manufacturer would necessarily use 1.5V per turn as a hard and fast rule. They balance iron and copper to the most cost effective point if there are no other factors considered like cooling or operating conditions. Not the least, is that there are a lot of turns on that primary and they might not count exactly. Those voltages are nominal and they often overwind a bit to allow for voltage drop with load.

Regards
cww