Questions about Designing a Gas Processing Plant - student project

B

Benjamin

Hello,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Benjamin and I'm working on a small project during my 6-month internship in an oil and gas company based in Houston.

I have already read many threads in the forum, but this is my first post. I was really impressed by the quality of the answers provided by the community :)

As I was born in France, where we do not have a specific oil and gas training, there are some terms I might not understand.

All right, let's get to the point of my topic: as an exercise, I want to design a gas processing plant, whose goal is to produce heavy gases (C3+ gases).

The feed gas is provided by a natural gas facility and contains methane, ethane, C3, both iso-C4 and nor-C4, N2, CO2 (14,500 ppm) and H2O with a 200 MMSCFD flow rate, at a 100 psia pressure and at a temperature of 95F.

To produce what I need, I need to remove both H2O and CO2 (to 100 ppm).

For this, there are many different techniques.

To remove the CO2 (we don't need to remove H2S, as there is none), the MEA technique and the Membrane technique are the most common.
Because of the very low concentration of CO2 we're trying to obtain and the quite low operating pressure, I would use the MEA technique, as it is the most commonly used.

I'm not sure if it's acceptable and I would like some advice for the Acid Gas Removal unit.

For the water removal, I'm thinking about using Triethylene glycol loop to remove all the water, but I don't know if there are any more effective way to remove the water.

Now, for the light ends (C1/C2) and heavy gases (C3+) separation, I don't know what to use.

I'm thinking about a simple column, as C1/C2 are lighter than air and C3+ is heavier, so it should be easy to separate them.

Please let me know if I did any mistake or if I did not provide enough information about the gas composition (I don't know if it would be useful).

Thanks for reading me!

Benjamin