Difference Between Mark V Type 'A' or 'B' Panel

M

MPAC

What is the difference between a Mark V type 'A' and a type 'B' Panel?

Is there any way to tell what you have by looking at it?

Thanks

MPAC,

No; one can't tell from looking at the outside of the panel, or even by opening the doors and looking at the cores.

One has to open the core doors and look at the cards installed in the cores.

There are actually four versions of the Mark V:

"A"
"Hybrid A"
"Hybrid B"
"B"

(And, yes; I believe they were produced in that order, from top to bottom.)

The biggest difference between "A" and "B" panels is the main microprocessor card. "A" panels use DCC/LCC cards; "B" panels use SDCC/SLCC cards.

The other versions (the hybrids) use some upgraded version of other I/O cards in the cores. I believe some of the TCQC cards were different, as were some of the TCQA cards (different group numbers).

Some newer versions of the CARD_ID.EXE utility of IDOS and/or TCI will actually say at the bottom of the report what the version of the panel is.

But, functionally, they are virtually the same. The "B" panels have faster IONETs (as I recall), but are still functionally the same.

Hope this helps!

(I have long since lost my "cheat-sheet" of the exact differences between the four versions (wish I hadn't lost it!), and there's really only a handful of people left in GE who could, with the visually obtained I/O Card information, tell exactly which version any particular panel is.)