Pipe sizing for fluids and pump/motor selection

E

Eric

Hi All,

I'm currently refreshing couple of knowledge areas on the process side and I'm convinced that members of this forum working in general on process side and in particular – involved in creation of P&ID can easily point me to the right information.

First one is the process of pipe sizing & pipe metal selection for fluid applications while second is the selection process for the pump and corresponding motor for particular application.

As an example, what elements to take into consideration when preparing set of P&ID and metal fabrication drawings for piping and how to lead the process of pump and corresponding motor selection for particular application?

Another is how to calculate flow, head and how to take into consideration fluid viscosity, density, corrosiveness, consistency, etc. while doing so?

I trust you might have some live examples of how flow and head are calculated and based on that: pump, motor along with pipe size and pipe's material are selected?

The best would be step by step process overview but I'll appreciate all information you can provide on those topics.

Regards,
Eric

B

Bob Peterson

There are well known formulas for determining pressure drop across valves and thru piping and fittings. Some quick Googling ought to turn them up. Pumps are sized based on how much pressure you want at the outlet of where ever it is going.

Most times people have rules of thumb they work with for various fluids. For water, one common rule of thumb is to not allow the pipe velocity to exceed 7-10 fps.

Selection of wetted parts materials is usually driven by cost and what the fluids are. Sometimes it is driven by practical considerations like the need for sanitary piping in a dairy. That limits you a lot.