Chain & gearbox selection for factory automation

E

Eric

Hi All,

I’m currently looking into various automation areas, starting from process and finishing at factory automation. I’m control biased so certain mechanical engineering elements are still to be discovered.

First one is actual selection of gearboxes for conveyor applications – what as an expert are you looking for when standing against the choice of gearbox selection? What does need to be exactly specified to choose the gearbox that mechanises the particular conveyor?
From design experience – I’m definitely looking at motor’s rpm (revolutions per minute), then diameter of the conveyor’s shaft to convert it into maximum and minimum speeds of the conveyor and conversion ratio of the gearbox but what else do you take into consideration, what types of gearboxes are there and how is the selection process done step by step please (I’m primarily looking at FMCG industries like food & beverage, pharma, medical devices, etc.)?

Second one is the choice of the chain for eg. packaging machine applications. What aspects do you take into consideration when choosing one?

Step by step selection process description might seem trivial for mechanical engineers with some experience but it will definitely provide solid working base for control biased engineers.

Regards,
Eric