Using a Standpipe with DP Level Transmitter

T

TANWEER

Dear All,

My question to all of you is that can we use standpipe with DP type level transmitter?

If not please suggest.

Kindly reply fast.

I am assuming your question is if you can use a DP transmitter on a standpipe. If that is the case the answer is yes but there are conditions you need to look at first. In some cases the standpipe might not be connected to the bottom of the vessel and in cases like that you need to have a look at where the bottom connecting pipe of the standpipe is connected to the vessel and have a look at what position your zero must be. If your zero mark is below this bottom connecting pipe then your transmitter will stop working at the point where this connection is to the vessel. You can still do the installation as long as you make sure not to set your zero on the transmitter below this bottom connecting point. Other than that there are no limitations on what you can do. If you are working with tubing you cannot position your transmitter above the bottom tapping point but if you plan to use capillary and chemical seal you may install the transmitter above the bottom tapping point. If there is a choice to make always make use of capillaries and chemical seals, they are easy to install and calibrate and have a lot of other advantages over tubing.

Stilling wells are inside the tank or vessel, so getting an impulse line to connect at the bottom elevation point becomes an issue. How does that work?

I have seen a DP transmitter retrofitted to an external bypass sight gauge, the vertical pipe with the flags that get flipped by the magnet float.

All the DP caveats about changing specific gravity, sludgy medium, remote seals, wet/dry leg low sides still apply.