Controlling Different Cookers Using Same HMI

C

cmshelton

cooker 1 is on it's own PLC 192-168-1-15 OLD cookroom

cooker 2 on on it's own plc 192-168-1-110 NEW cookroom

is it possible to control both on the same HMI but say on different screen, even though they have different IP address.

currently both have there own working HMI on their own cook platform, but can a operator have control or be able to watch the other cooker in the next room (cookroom2) while he is starting a new batch cooker 1.

thanks for any advice

B
This is easily done with Magelis (Vijeo Designer). The cookers can even be different PLC driver types.

Configure the Magelis driver as 192.168.1.100 (example) and then two targets: cooker1 at 192.168.1.15 and cooker2 at 192.168.1.110. Assign the I/O to each target (addressing includes selected Magelis driver/selected target address/target reference address). If you have level 1 at reference 1234 in each then you will have tags configured as cooker1.level1 and cooker2.level1.

Then simply build screens using the correct tags.

Simple.

If the cookers are on difference protocols then you have to setup two drivers in the Magelis, each with a target. One could be Modbus TCP, the other EtherNet/IP. No problem.

The standard Red Lion G-series HMIs can do this easily as well. I'm not sure if the cheaper Kadets can, but they may be able to. I have a G310 sitting on my desk right now talking to an AB CompactLogix and 3 or 4 Siemens S7-300s. One screen is an overview of the line and shows information from all machines at the same time. No problems at all.

Thanks for the replys

I was hoping it could be done with the Panel Veiw 1000 plus HMI's we or already using.

J

James Ingraham

> I was hoping it could be done with the Panel Veiw 1000 plus HMI's we [are] already using.

Yes, the PanelView Plus 1000 can talk to multiple PLCs. Also, you can create a screen with parameters, so that you can select "Cooker 1" or "Cooker 2" without having to redo the screens completely.

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.

In our http://pvbrowser.org project we do data acquisition as follows.

- There are daemon processes reading data and writing them into a shared memory.
- These daemon processes wait for outputs on a mailbox.

You may have several daemons at the same time.
You may have different protocols from daemon to daemon.
A daemon may handle a complete fieldbus.
A daemon might handle a single connection only.

It is simple to create new daemons for new/special/uncommon protocols.

Our HMI may now read the shared memories and show it to the users.
It is possible to send messages to the mailboxes from the HMI.

You can add more processes connected to the shared memory and the mailboxes. For example a DCS.

See: the principle drawing at our home page of our website.
http://pvbrowser.de

It's easily achievable if your new hardware can support the additional interface. Or else you may have to add a router.

The rest is just mapping the Inputs of the old one to a copy of the new HMI screen program with an option to switch screens.

You can control many such systems from a single HMI, as many as your HMI can handle( maybe 100s).

We come across such scenarios on a daily bases. And as to reduce the number of operators and hardware, this pattern if followed in mostly all industries.

Panel Veiw 1000 plus HMI's can easily integrate this. Quite easy to achieve if you have two PLC controls. (Doesn't need to be the same brand).

Its all just about mapping values in the OPC server.