RS485 to Analog Input Conversion

C

cherrypi

We currently have a Rosemount wireless gateway that is transmitting temperature readings to our DCS via RS-485 communication. I would like to know if it's possible to convert the serial communication signal to multiple analog signals so that they (i.e. each temperature reading) can be hard-wired to the ESD system? There seem to be serial to analog devices available online but which would be the best for this application?

W
With all due respect, I would be extremely reluctant to use wireless sensors in an ESD application. And I would be inclined to view the wireless gateway as a single point of failure for multiple sensor readings, and calculate my SIF with that in mind.

It may be that sometime in the future WirelessHART or ISA100 devices will be useful in ESD applications, but to do what you¹re asking is pushing the envelope pretty hard.

Walt

Walt Boyes, Life Fellow, ISA; Fellow InstMC
Chartered Measurement and Control Technologist
Spitzer and Boyes LLC
[email protected]

**Spitzer and Boyes LLC publishes the Industrial Automation and Process Control INSIDER (www.iainsider.com)**

C

Curt Wuollet

A PLC with a RS485 port and a few analog outputs would do it fairly easily and more economically than most specialized solutions. Think Click.

Regards
cww

Thank you Walt. I do agree with you, however the powers-that-be still requested for the research to be done.