Instrument Learning Materials?

D

Dave

Hi,

I'm a new instrument engineer in oil and gas with 9 months experience and feel like I'm really struggling to get up to speed with everything. I usually work during the day, and then try to learn the material at night.

Does anyone have any good resources for learning instrument/PLC/automation/valve basics? Or even more advanced material? I've been reading Lessons in Instrumentation, a pdf I found on here, which has been AMAZING so far. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I would really appreciate any ideas.

Thank you!

Hi, Dave,

First of all, let me say I've been lax in reading other non-turbine control system-related posts on control.com and completely missed the 'Lessons on Industrial Instrumentation' link. WOW! That's quite a work, and considering the author started a similar project (tome) on electronics earlier it's even more impressive.

Anyway--thanks for bringing that to our (my) attention. For anyone else not familiar with the work, the full title is 'Lessons in Industrial Instrumentation' and it's freely available on the World Wide Web (Internet)--it's LARGE, but it (seems--as I've only had an hour or so to look through it, but you can bet I'll be scouring it for hours in the future for useful tidbits) is pretty concise.

Now, to your question. As noted by the author of the tome a lot of good information can be gleaned from manufacturer's data sheets and even white papers they may have written. If a manufacturer really wants you to buy their product/equipment they are generally going to try to tell you as much about it (how it works; the theory behind it; etc.) as they can in order to differentiate it from the other similar options available in the marketplace. Alas, some manufacturers are much better at this than other (as also noted by the tome's author!), so it's kind of hit or miss--but it's a great place to start.

Another place I've often found useful information about devices and equipment is in trade journals. Many of them are available free of charge--some digitally, others in printed form--and while a lot of the "articles" can be written by manufacturer's marketers, some are really informative and useful. And, I also find I learn a lot just from reading the adverts (advertisements) in these trade journals. Perhaps you've seen some lying around the shops you are working in?

Another place I've found very useful on basic fundamentals of devices and instruments is Omega (www.omega.com). They used to freely send large printed books full of useful information, application information, and equations and formulae--but I think it's all available via download now. (I keep a copy of their reference books on my bookshelf and still refer to them often.)

But, if you could be specific about your questions there are many knowledgeable people here that can probably answer some if not all of your questions. What kinds of questions do you have--are they about specific instruments and how they work or can be repaired? About how they are used for various measurements and why one is more commonly used than another? About valving for some kinds of instruments (for example, flow measurement using an orifice plate and differential pressure sensors/transmitters)? Wet legs in some pressure/level measurement?

Sometimes you can find the answers to these types of questions in written materials; sometimes it's just "tribal knowledge" and is passed along from mentor to student/apprentice. (I do miss the days of apprenticeships and wonder if they'll ever return!) So, if you have some specific questions, we would certainly try to help find the answers.

I'll try to get the names of some industry trade journals (I don't subscribe to them any more and my memory at this time is just failing me for the name of even one!).

Hope this helps!

Automation Direct is a web based vendor of PLCs and associated components and controls.

They publish a 93 page text called Automation 101: Control System Engineering, A Condensed Guide to Automation Control, System Specification, Design and Installation

It's a free download. I suspect you have to register, but no salesman calls. Not bad for a freebie.

download here:
http://tinyurl.com/ozznbl7