Cannot Communicate with Cimplicity

T

technical

hi all;

please i need your experience.

today in DCS communication the MRKVI communicate with Getway. so there is no communication with HMI (Cimplicity)

in our project DCS communicate with MARKVI and GETWAY.

when i take look in HMI; i'm going to open my Project: GT1_SVR.gef so i can't because there is message (ERROR LOCKING PROJECT FILE)

can you help me what is the problem? because i can't open Cimplicity Screen

Dear CSA

please i need your experience.

in our project DCS communicate with MARKVI and GETWAY.

now the problem is solved because when i go in cimpro i find all folder is read only so i remove read only. and i restart the project and TCI. i can connect to cimplicity but the alarms can not work. when i cheek The TCI is running

what is the problem ?

<b>Moderator's note:</b> HAR is the same as technical who is the original poster.

HAR/technical,

If all the CIMPLICITY project files were marked as read only that would mean it's very likely someone "restored" from a CD or DVD. And that means we don't know everything that's been done--and everything that's not been done. Which makes it very difficult to offer suggestions about what to do.

Alarms are "handled by TCI and passed to a special CIMPLICITY alarm viewer object for display in the CIMPLICITY alarm window.

There is a command-line utility that can be used to determine if TCI is receiving alarms. Type:

ALMDUMP1

at a DOS prompt and if TCI is receiving alarm messages from <C> it will display a list of alarms. That will tell you if the problem is TCI or CIMPLICITY. But in general there's very little that can be done--the "handoff" of alarms from TCI to CIMPLICITY either works or it doesn't. If CIMPLICITY is getting data then the StageLink is good and that probably means TCI is working and that leaves the CIMPLICITY alarm viewer object as the issue. But, that either works or it doesn't, also. So troubleshooting is difficult.

But I suspect that because we don't have an idea of what has and hasn't been done we won't be able to be of much help. Wish I had better news. You need to revisit all the steps taken and then try to determine what was done that needs to be undone. Since you haven't told us everything that was done we can't help with that.

Please write back to let us know how you solve this problem.

dear CSA

i'm very very happy for your answer

after a long investigation I discovered that:

1.we lost VCMI card (FAULT CODE 67) in processor R and after replacing the card we could not make all controller R;S;T equal because after download firmware, configuration and restart all processor we find equal at controller state it's OK but the toolbox connect directly at S ;at TMR Processor you connect for R only it is observed that the color is yellow the same is at T controller. (So we cannot now the real procedure to make TMR Processor green for R,S,T and when we go on line we connect directly at R processor).

2.in HMI CIMPLICITY may be the problem caused by:
The project was running when it was copied.

If a project is running when a copy of it is made, then only the files that were not in use are actually copied. This usually means that the majority of the project's "data" folder is not copied as it is generally in use when a project is running. If this occurs, then the
original project must be completely stopped, and a new copy made.

I will send you the results obtained.

HAR/technical,

2) Yes; it's correct that if someone copies files from a running project that all files will not be copied because files that are open and locked cannot be copied. To copy CIMPLICITY project files <b>(which is >>NOT<< recommended, by the way)</b> one should stop the running project, which unlocks locked files and closes open files.

However, when one copies any files (CIMPLICITY files or other files) to a CD or DVD and when copied from the CD or DVD to some other locationv then those files are marked as read only (I don't know if the files are marked read only when copied to the CD/DVD or when copied from the CD/DVD--but when they "land" on the location being copied to from the CD/DVD they are marked as read only--and cannot be changed, locked or unlocked by applications until the read only attributes are cleared). Again, copying CIMPLICITY project files is <b>>>NOT<<</b> recommended as it can lead to all manner of unintended problems and mandays of time (and time is money, remember) to recover.

As suspected, you didn't tell us everything that had been done--and not done. And, good troubleshooting would dictate that if the CIMPLICITY project was running previously (to changing the VCMI card) that there was no problem with CIMPLICITY--and it didn't need to be copied or modified.

I suspect the problem with alarms is now related to the CIMPLICITY alarm window SETUP. You need to click on the SETUP "button" and make sure the alarm viewer object is set up to get the proper alarms/events/etc. from the proper location.

1) As for what to do about the <R> VCMI not returning to the designated processor, well, there's something amiss with the configuration. There are usually Diagnostic Alarms (those pesky things no one pays any attention to) describing what the problem is.

I can only hope that MARKVI can add to this discussion and post his procedure for swapping out VCMI cards. It's been several years since I've had the pleasure, and I'm not recalling what exactly the steps are at this time (sorry). And, again, we don't know exactly what has and has not been done at your site.

Actually, I was hoping MARKVI would respond before I had to, because, again, I'm not sure of all the steps and I was pretty sure you'd replaced a VCMI or a UCVx.

Best of luck--and do let us know how you resolve the problems, all of them.

Dear HAR,

I do not have a lot of time to post a long reply at this point, but I will attempt to help.

For now we will assume that the VCMI for "R" did fail. Several quick questions.

1) Did you verify the version of the VCMI is the same as what you removed? This should be right on the front of the VCMI card, on the lower release handle. Should be possibly an H2B. The reason I ask is this version was discontinued in 2006 and has been replaced by the H2C. If you downloaded the wrong firmware to the new card then it most likely will not work.

2) What is the state of all the processors? You say "R" and "T" are still yellow, which assumes that you do not have 2 cores in control.

3) When did "T" not boot? When you loaded firmware did you load to all VCMI cards? Or only the failed card for "R" core.

The replacement of a VCMI should not be overly difficult, but it can't usually be described in several quick statements. The manual will say:

Power down the rack

Replace the failed VCMI

Power up the rack.

Wait for the 2 other cores to go into "Control". The rack with the new VCMI should not go into control.

Right click the VCMI for the core with the new card, select download. Check the "firmware" box and select ok.

Firmware should download and the card should reboot.

Once booted, select download again, and do not select firmware, leave the default check for "configuration" and click ok.

Once configuration is downloaded wait one minute, then power off all cores including the VPRO cores. Wait one minute and power up all cores.

Go online with toolbox to the cores and observe the boot sequence by double clicking the status at the bottom of the screen where it should be saying "boot". All cores should come up in control after a period of approximately 5-8 minutes.

Please explain in detail what your procedure was. I typically find that people end up performing downloads of application code the processor, extra downloads here and there and soon lose track of what they did and when. This usually leads to trouble.

Please explain what you have done as best as possible and we will attempt to help. But as you know this is not always an easy process.