Transmitters Calibration Interval

S

salmanisn

Hi

My question is about the recommended interval for calibration the yokogawa transmitters, DP, temperature, and pressure transmitters.

we have Yokogawa (DP, pressure) and Yamari (temperature) transmitters they are used in revenue metering for water and steam, my question is about the recommended interval for the re calibration of these trans., is there any standard or best practice, i reviewed the manual of the transmitters but i don't found any recommended interval for that.

the initial calibration certificates are also not specifying a due date for calibration.

Yokogawa trans models are EJA110, EJA430

appreciate any contribution
thanks

In my somewhat limited experience, calibration intervals for custody transfer are agreed upon by both parties.

See the measurement manual, pages 27 & 28 at
http://tinyurl.com/mwz55zz
to see an example of calibration frequencies.

In industrial and safety applications, service conditions, process criticality and experience govern calibration intervals. The manufacturer has no control over any of those conditions, so the user needs to evaluate and make prudent judgments.

ABB has a great web page on the industrial/safety cal interval evaluation at
http://tinyurl.com/pwravoy

Hi,

please follow API MPMS chapter 21.1. Standard mentioned clearly 2 wire electronic Transmitter shall be calibrated every 3 months.

best
regards
saradhi

I have a copy of an old 1993 API 21.1. I've searched it and can't find that calibration interval recommendation of 3 months. I recall seeing a draft of a proposed revision about 5 years ago and don't recall seeing it then, but I haven't been involved enough to warrant getting the most recent 2013 edition.

Is that calibration interval recommendation in the 2013 version/edition?

Hi,

> Is that calibration interval recommendation in the 2013 version/edition?

Please note that refer to API MPMS CHAPTER 21.1.1.8.2 PAGE 14 for your question. it was mentioned that 3 monthly for EGM meters.

regards
saradhi

Hi,

11.3.2 The accuracy of all electronic liquid measurement (ELM) equipment should be verified quarterly. This interval is a recommended maximum and does not preclude verification and inspection on a more frequent basis when required.

thanks for all the replies, but i think the idea of 3 months in somehow is very frequent for press transmitters.

i received a reply from Yokogawa, for high press applications the recommended interval is 12 months, for other press up to 24 months.

thanks again

I recommend you to specify an interval for example 3 months based on the refereed API 21.1. do and repeat the calibration based on the predefined interval for 2-3 consecutive periods. then control the results (generate control chart) and if the error is same as before or acceptable then increase the interval periods.

Hope it helps you

For custody transfer applications, especially in tropics and countries such as India, the ambient environment temperatures vary widely round the year. It is common to see temperatures to -5 or -10 degC during winter and the same location experiencing ambient temperatures of the order of 42 to 45 deg.C

DP transmitters are prone to drifts and require frequent corrections / adjustments when temperatures change. No matter even if we use smart microprocessor based transmitters that have built-in temperature compensations.

So if using DPTs for Orifice or Conemeter as custody transfer flowmeter, its absolutely essential to have recommended 3-month interval periodicity for calibrations.

PT, TT devices may not need such high frequency of calibrations. However, its often built into the Contracts to have all recalibrations at the same time.