Honeywell Safety Manager and ICS Triplex

A

almasnaz

Hello,

My clients have 2 big oil plants and are going to build 3rd. They want to have one single Control Centre far away from plants, to be able operate in it with all 3 plants. In existing local control rooms, they have Matrix Panels directly connected to ICS Triplex. So they want to duplicate this Matrix Panels to Control Centre. We propose to use Honeywell Safety Manager as interface between Matrix Panels and ICS Triplex. So that two Matrix panels (one in Local Control Room and 2nd in Control Centre) can communicate to ICS Triplex. Safety Manager at each plant is connected to Control Centre via fiber optic. We want to use RUSIO modules in Safety Manager, and there are T8403 (DI) and T8461 (DO) modules in ICS Triplex. Client doesn't want to break ICS Triplex System, because it works very good.

My question is Can we connect DO of SM to DI of ICS Triplex and vice versa? and How to determine that it is suitable?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Young engineer

R
I'm not familiar with the buzzwords you use. however I think it's safe to say you could not have the ICS Triplex relying on communications.

If you want to hardwire it locally and just monitor remotely I can't see anything wrong with that. It might be ok to have a reset or start/stop input via communications but not a trip.

Thanks for quick response.

We will have one Safety Manager in Control Centre and one Safety Manager at each plant. These Safety Managers will be connected to each other via fiber optic (Safenet). At each plant, ESD Matrix panels connects to ESD Controller (ICS Triplex) via Safety Manager. Connection between Matrix Panel and Safety Manager, and between Safety Manager and ESD Controller are digital hardwired. So if we do ESD trip from Control Centre, the trip will pass from Matrix Panel to Safety Manager in Control Centre hardwirely, then from Safety Manager in Control Centre to Safety Manager in plant. After from Safety Manager in plant to ESD Controller (ICS Triplex) in plant.

Why we can't do ESD trips?

W
I would suggest that you provide a block diagram sketch of the existing system and what you are proposing to do. You can use Tinypic.

It is sometimes hard to provide a coherent response to a query regarding a system of multiple components described in words without seeing how they are physically (visually) put together.

Regards,
Bill

William (Bill) L. Mostia, Jr. PE
ISA Fellow, SIS-TECH Fellow,
FS Eng. (TUV Rheinland)
SIS-TECH Solutions, LP

"No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced." Neil deGrasse Tyson

Any information is provided on a Caveat Emptor basis.

R
> Why we can't do ESD trips?

By communications I meant Ethernet, wireless, profibus, foundation fieldbus etc.

As far as I know FF is not approved for an SIS system yet, at least we are still using 4-20 mA for any SIS transmitters.

From your latest post it seems as though you have taken care of all that with approved digital links.

Sorry, I don't know how you determine if your system is suitable, I am somewhat familiar wit ICS Triplex but have no experience with the other system.

A good start might be to question closely the system providers.

Good Luck