Foxboro IMT25 Flow Transmitter Communication

Z

ZacharyC

Currently I'm having a communication issue with an IMT 25 Flow Transmitter. The display on the transmitter reads correctly, the hart 475 reads the transmitter output correctly, and when I input a signal to the terminal block the DCS reads the correct value, yet when I hook up the instrument to the terminal block I am unable to get a reading on the DCS. Just to note, I have also tried reassigning the instrument to different channels on the terminal block and I was still unable to read any values on the DCS.

That IMT has a removable cover on the front, "for connecting external devices such as a PC-based configurator or a HART communicator."
Hmmmm.

What happens behind the scenes is frequently not supposed to be revealed to the public. ("Who is that man behind the curtain? asked Dorothy)

Checking the meter with HART might tell me that the wires are actually carrying a current signal with many other devices, but I don't about this beast if you've connected to the front port. Maybe the HART communicator ties into some internal circuit that might or might not be connected to the output? Who knows?

So the question is, do you get the correct mA reading with a ampmeter (not a HART handheld) in series with wires running to the DCS given whatever the flow reading and 4-20mA scaling is? What's the 4-20mA scaled in flow units? What mA reading do you get?

It's one thing if there's no 4-20mA at all. It's another thing if you get 4-20mA ont the wires but there's no reading when connected to the DCS AI terminals.