IRIG-B Wiring

Q

qarsaan

I need to run a cable between a PC system, and a master clock using IRIG-B protocol. The cable run length will be approximately 200m.

I have tried to find technical specifications to help me select the best cable type, but am getting nowhere.

Is anyone able to guide me please?

S
The protocol, or language, doesn't affect the cable (aside from maybe baud rate). What would determine the cable selection would be the electrical signal type, whether it be Ethernet, RS232, RS485, etc. Find that out, and we'll be able to help you.

For example, 200m is probably too far for RS232 without some additional hardware such as 485 or fiber-optic conversion.

The type of cable will depend on teh type of IRIG-B signal - modulated, unmodulated, fiber, RS-232/485/422, etc.

Unmodulated and modulated is typically run over coax (RG-58) which has distance limitations (not sure the length but I think 50M), while modulated can be coax or STP and has longer distances. The 485/422 serial protocols can be longer over STP.

You need to look at the data sheets for your devices to see what they both support.

Hello Guys,

Thank you for your messages. As you may have guessed, i am not too familiar with IRIG signalling. Looks like I will need to wait until the equipment has ordered before I can properly plan my cable design work.

Actually, I would suggest you be proactive and determine what kind of input "connection" your PC system can accept for a time master signal, and then help to choose/specify a master time signal generator with a compatible output type. And, then you can also order the appropriate cable at the same time.

If it's truly a "PC" (Personal Computer) you will likely need a special time synchronization card in the PC, or some versions of time synchronization can be done over an Ethernet-based system (which can be coaxial, or UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pairs), cable.

Write back to let us know how you fare and what you choose!