Frame 6B Overhaul

D

davidmcc

<p>
Hi, has anyone got engineering drawings that would allow manufacture of the tooling required to remove the rotor from a <b> Frame 6B </b> generator? thanks
</p>

Davidmcc,

Do you belong to the Frame 6 Users Group?

I would think you would have the best chance of finding such drawings from that group.

If I recall correctly, those were EGT-packaged units, and the generators were Alsthom or some other non-GE vendor (perhaps Linz (sp?)). It would probably be best if you specified the generator manufacturer and model/designation of the generator, maybe even its rating.

Write back if you're still having problems. I would think all you would need would be a skid plate shaped to the curvature of the stator windings, a properly shaped piece of Teflon (to the curvature of the coupling) to slide on the skid plate, and a crane and sling for sliding the rotor out until another sling can be placed on the turbine-end shaft, and then a rotor lifting beam. GE used to supply skid plates and Teflon "shoes" (I think they were called) with new units; most of the time they were misplaced over the years....

Let us know how you fare!

Hi,

yes we have has some contact with the Frame 6 user group. The manufacturer is Alstom European Gas Turbines, Frame 6B, 40MW. We have some drawings showing the procedure to remove the rotor, these showing the tooling but they're not manufacturing drawings.

Thanks for your help.

davidmcc,

GE assimilated EGT into their portfolio. There was a crew of people back in the early 2000's which were sent to the former MAs (Manufacturing Associates, as they were sometimes called--licensed packagers of GE-design heavy duty gas turbines) to comb through their archives and find drawings and manuals and then put them into the GE system, so a lot of information is available through GE by registering with them as a turbine owner/operator.

Once approved, you will get a login and password and with that you should be able to browse whatever documentation has been put into their archives. So, a lot of owners/operators can find information about GE-design heavy duty gas turbines which were packaged and supplied by John Brown Engineering, Alsthom, EGT, Kvaerner, Thomassen, etc. Not all turbines, and not all information, but at least one might find something which was not included with the original Operation and Maintenance Manuals and Parts Lists.

I suspect the information you're looking for was not made available to Customers or to GE when they were gathering the information. There might be another owner/operator in the Frame 6 Users Group who would have a similar or the same generator who might have the drawings. The forums are pretty well read, but not every Users Group site has someone who monitors the forums closely, so there might be long delay in responding. You might even try posting your query a couple of times over a couple of months, or even longer, because sometimes people who only read the forums "in their spare time" don't go back through older posts, or are only looking for information to help with their problem or question.

Failing that, I would say you will have to prepare as best as possible for the equipment needed by having materials and personnel who can take measurements and quickly make the parts you need. Yes, it's probably going to add some time to the outage. It sounds like you might be trying to do the outage without contracting a firm ("self-perform") who might have some knowledgeable craft supervision.

Another thing you might try is contacting some of the "old timers" around who might have some drawings and information which could be of use--but I doubt they will have anything specific to your generator. One firm with a lot of retired GE old-timers is Pond & Lucier in upstate New York, USA. They could probably tell you if they have anyone who might have some information, or they could assist with if you could schedule a short outage and pull some generator end-shields in order to quick taking the proper measurements and provide some assistance with making the required pieces. That way you could get something made that was at least close to the required dimensions and quickly modified when the outage started.

That's about all I can think of at this time. Hope this helps!