PLC Not Receiving Pulse from ABB WaterMaster

B

Barde

Hi,

I have ABB WaterMaster Flow transmitter. I expect to get a totalizer pulse to PLC, but I get just a green line without any pulse. I don't even know if my Transmitter is giving a pulse.

Suggest me how to check the pulse, and if pulse is there, then how will I make the totalizer valve delivered to PLC.

B

Bob Peterson

I don't know what you mean by "green line".

Usually the meter has to be setup to issue a pulse based on a certain volume passing through the meter, such as one gallon. This is set in some way, maybe though a Hart communicator or a built in keypad. I would check and see what it is set to.

It is also possible that whatever you are truing to read the pulse with is wired wrong. I don't recall ever using this particular meter but the ones I did use I think had a 5 V TTL level pulse signal.

Hi Bob,

I checked the documentation regarding pulse from the WaterMaster, and noticed that all pulse outputs are solid-state contact closures (open-collector transistor outputs). Therefore, you will need to ensure that you are using a voltage source and a pull-up resistor.

Here's the ABB documentation link:

https://library.e.abb.com/public/04...TI-F-WaterMaster_DigitalOutputs_A_4-15-13.pdf

My company manufactures the EtherMeter, which is an instrument that can accumulate one or two pulse inputs and make the totalization and rate-of-flow available in Modbus or Rockwell protocols. Basically, you would network your PLC to the EtherMeter.

Also, to help with troubleshooting, it will visually display the pulse with a yellow LED that blinks OFF whenever the solid-state contact closes.

I hope this helps!