Over-Current and Reverse Power Trip

A

Ankur123

Hello everyone

I am working in a system with three diesel powered generators of 100 KW each. Normally two engines runs at a time. Recently we ran into a tricky problem when the combination 1 and 3 runs we do not have any problem but when 2 is involved in the running combination we have frequent blackouts and alarm normally generated are overcurrent on one set and reverse power on another visa versa. We are almost sure that the problem is with number 2 set.

As reverse power alarm was generated we thought there is something wrong with the engine Rpm/frequency. we have cross checked the fuel system and the speed control unit and found everything in normal we even replace the magnetic pick up sensor just in case its faulty but problem is still present. we have also have tried putting sudden load on generator to check the speed/frequency variation and found it normal.

Normally we have observe that trips happens after 15-24 hrs of operation.

Also we have notice abnormal Imax on both generator (2 & 1 or 3) frequently.

I feel like there is something wrong with the AVR.
can a faulty AVR cause reverse power or high amperage???

Any inputs will be really helpful

Thanks

what about neutral point? is it common for all three gen?
I think the cause of trip is the differential protection first then followed by reverse power.

isolate the neutral point for Gen 2 before synchonising as the neutral point will be common.