Digital Inputs Monitoring

A

Ali Al-Shaibani

We have 16 digital inputs (Dry contacts) that we would like to monitor them using an already exist HMI with RSVIEW STUDIO. so we should add a digital input module and connect the module the HMI? would you please suggest a cost effective solution? Which module should we use? Which communication method?

Please note the the distance between the system to be monitored and the HMI is about 250m.

Thank you

B

Bob Peterson

I am not sure what you are referring to as RSView Studio. There are a bunch of products from AB that have similar names.

Factory Talk View Studio is the programming software for both the SE product, and the ME product. Your HMI could be either. It does not make a lot of difference for this situation as either product can handle what you want done.

The hardware and installation is really the issue. The cabling to get the information from 250m away will cost 10X or more than what the I/O will cost.

You can probably talk to just about any small Ethernet PLC via whatever protocol it has.

Maybe the easiest would be to put a small Compactlogix block PLC out there, or a Micrologix 1400. Then you could run Ethernet to it, but at that distance you will need a couple switches along the way, or fiber.

Wireless is another option that gets rid of the cabling if you can make it work.

Is there a PLC already in the area that is already connected to your HMI that you could add some remote I/O to? That would likely be the most cost effective answer.

A

ali_alshaibani

Thanks dear for your reply, I'm sorry for not telling that the HMI has Factory Talk View Studio.

The already exist PLC is not close to system we'd like to monitor. We will study your suggestions.

Thank you again