Infi-90 Analog Slave Module Error

L

lolai

Dear Friends

I will appreciate if someone share his experience with infi 90 problem:
Suddenly 4 slave cards output going in asterisk and normalized only when i takeout standby MFP01. and when i put back standby MFP01, these input slave cards going in asterisk.

after two days even with one mfp01 those values went in asterisk done same insert mfp and takeout to bring back values.

steps taken:

replaced standby mfp01 with new one, no success
replaced imasi03 with new one, no success
kept out analog salve one by, same behaviour
mfp01 executive block monitored but found no any change during fault
logic verification no difference found
slave addresses verified with function code 215 and found ok

Findings:

IMASI03 green led blinking during issue
IMASI02 status alarm appears and reset but values remain constantly in asterisk until insert and takeout standby mfp

Best regards
ashiq

Dears

Bailey/ABB says
Blink green when the MFP which configured the IMASI03 enters configure mode from execute mode.

Blink green if slave expander bus communication is lost (if
the MFP is removed).

ashiq

I have seen many similar faults with intermittent errors from Analog slave modules. It has been caused by 3 different problems I have seen.

1. One of ANY of the other I/O slaves used for that module has an intermittent fault causing the DC power to be loaded down. - It can be difficult to locate the actual faulty module sometimes. check for any other clues of disappearing signals or alarms. You might just have the long job of substituting modules to find it that way.

2. Damp or dirty I/O slaves - we had one particular area where this happened and the boards were tracking across very briefly maybe once a month. All slaves were cleaned and dried with Nitrogen and this cured the problem.

3. A data highway connection problem. Check the connectors between your MMU's and if you have a very old system which uses an old slide type connector rather than a ribbon cable plug, think about replacing the whole rack of MMu's with the newer type. We had to do this site-wide in 9 racks.

In all our cases it has NEVER been the Analog slave at fault, it just seems to be the one that is more sensitive to problems.

Happy hunting.

Dear Jack

thanks for your contribution.

My one friend says:

1.If the slaves are in a different MMU than the controller, I would first replace the ribbon cables that connect the x-bus from one MMU to the other. (Like in our case)

2.If the slaves and controller are in the same MMU, I would recommend removing all modules and cleaning the backplane of the MMU, and if still not settle replace MMU with new one

Things that confusing me if x-bus is creating problem then it should also affect other modules of same controllers like 06 DSI/DSO lies in same MMU.

why insertion of standby MFP01 causing problem?

why we have problem even standby MFP01 is out?

whats happening when we insert and takeout standby MFP, which brings values back to normal?

is there any capacitor issue when we insert and takeout that causes charging -discharging?

At my site amber/orange color ribbon is used as x-bus and type of MMU is NMMU02.

I have put out each Input slave one by one for hours to locate faulty module, but no success that supports your idea that AIS itself may not be issue but it is sensitive to other things.

thanks and welcome your input on confusing things

BR
Ashiq

Dear All.

Thanks for your contribution and valuable input. problem resolved by replacing expander bus with new one.

cheers,
Ashiq