Ovation 3.31 with ELC Configuration

G

GTT

We have 3.31 Emerson Ovation and want to communicate with third party device using ELC interface. what kind of details we need other than pointnames, descriptions, range and addresses? Do I need IP address of third party or ovation controller? How to configure? Any comments and/or suggestion please?

thanks in advance.

I would suggest reading the manual Con_036 that describes programming for the ELC module. The ELC is a somewhat complicated beast. If this is the first ELC install then the controller will have to be cleared and drivers downloaded for ELC communication. Software licenses need to be installed for the ELC. ELC software will have to be loaded onto the database server. Firmware and drivers will need to be downloaded to the ELC. Depending on your network setup you may need to change configuration of the router or field switch. You did not mention what type of protocol you are planning to use, but the ELC talks many protocols, and can use TCPIP or TCPIP with a serial server. Good luck with your task, I worked with an ELC when it was first released.

I am not really sure of a limit, you would need to refer to the manual. I think a limit does exist for number of connections and number of points. For Modbus protocol I would much rather use direct communication with the controller. I have several TCP/IP Modbus connections to controllers that are much easier to setup and manage in my opinion. The ELC just adds another wrinkle, much like the old RLC modules. I know that Emerson is pushing to install ELC modules, taking the overhead of communications off the controller, but direct comm's are so much easier. Especially in the case of Modbus.