Low Voltage Power Monitoring

D

DrewE

We have a rural site that is having intermittent problems with the remote I/O. We have worked through all of the possible network problems and now suspect that the power may be the culprit. I would appreciate it if someone could recommend a vendor or device that could monitor the incoming 120VAC and outgoing 24VDC power. The device will need to log several hours of data as it will be a while before we could get to it to retrieve it.

The power supply we will be monitoring is an AB 1606-XLS120E. Not sure if this relevant but thought the question might be asked.

I use a Fluke 289 True RMS Multimeter when I need to log any power. Depending on your settings, it can log several hours of whatever monitoring you need, and, if you use the included software, will print it out for you. I've also hired a local electrical contractor to install logging charts at times. Hope this helps!

>The power supply we will be monitoring is an AB
>1606-XLS120E. Not sure if this relevant but thought the
>question might be asked.

So you suspect that your incoming 120VAC is dropping to below 85VAC? Because that's what it would take to make that power supply drop out.

There is a contact on the power supply that changes state when the DC output drops below the threshold, which is 10% below the adjusted output voltage. As a cheap indicator, you could use a simple counter wired to that relay and every time the voltage comes up to 24VDC, the contact closes and increments the counter. You will know how many times YOU have turned on the power, so if the count is higher than that, it means there was a dip and re-start. Multiple restarts indicates a sever power loss issue and might warrant adding a DC UPS to it.