Electrical Parameters North America

H

Henas

Hi

I am looking to get our mobile breathing air system approved for use in the US and Canada. This is a new market for me and therefor I will post some questions and hope some of you help me.

The breathing air system is intended for both onshore and offshore use in hazardous locations. Class 1, Div 1, Group C, or IEC (zone 1/IIB).

1. Since I want to make one machine that is approved for both US/Canada cCSAus. Is there a standard to what voltage and HZ that is used onshore/offshore? What is most commonly used? Is there big differences between the US and Canada on this issue?

2. On the ATEX approved machine we have a multivoltage motor 5,5kW 380v-690v 50/60 HZ. Are multivoltage motors like this one used/allowed?

3. I have read that Canada has moved from the Class/Div system to the IEC way with Zone 0,1,2. As i have a system put together of different components. Will i have to have all my components have the same certification/markings, can i mix components marked Class/Div with components marked with Zone?

4. If I have the CSA group performing the certification of the entire system. Will they treat components marked cULus the same as they would cCSAus?

Hope someone has the time to share their knowledge.

www.pusteluft.no

B

Bob Peterson

> The breathing air system is intended for both onshore and offshore use in
> hazardous locations. Class 1, Div 1, Group C, or IEC (zone 1/IIB).

OK. There is also a US zone system that sounds similar to the IEC system but is completely different, and the equipment is not interchangeable.

> 1. Since I want to make one machine that is approved for both US/Canada
> cCSAus. Is there a standard to what voltage and HZ that is used
> onshore/offshore? What is most commonly used? Is there big differences
> between the US and Canada on this issue?

Canada and US are all 60 Hz. Offshore, who knows? probably depends on where offshore it is.

> 2. On the ATEX approved machine we have a multivoltage motor 5,5kW
> 380v-690v 50/60 HZ. Are multivoltage motors like this one used/allowed?

Many motors in the US are available in 240/480 which are the most common 3 phase voltages.

> 3. I have read that Canada has moved from the Class/Div system to the IEC
> way with Zone 0,1,2. As i have a system put together of different
> components. Will i have to have all my components have the same
> certification/markings, can i mix components marked Class/Div with
> components marked with Zone?

They have to be the same. I do not know if the Canadian zone system is like the US zone system and is completely different than the IEC zone system, or if it is compatible with the IEC zone system

> 4. If I have the CSA group performing the certification of the entire
> system. Will they treat components marked cULus the same as they would cCSAus?

CSA and UL have a cross certification program. If I recall correctly, the cULus mark means it meets both US and Canadian standards, but has been listed by UL. cCSAus is a product listed by CSA to both US and Canadian standards.

By the way, neither CSA or UL approve or certify things like this. They list them. You would need to figure out what category code this machine fits into and get the UL standards for that category code and make sure you meet those requirements to list the machine.

Depending on what the machine is, there may not be a category code for it so there would be no standard to list to.

--
Bob
http://ilbob.blogspot.com/