Gas Turbine GE PG9171E Flow Parameters

A

AAK

Can anyone provide me with design flow parameters for Inlet air flow, Cooling and sealing air flow (from 5 stage of compressor) and exhaust flow of Gas Turbine GE PG9171E having 17 stages of compressors and 3 stages of turbine.

Don't think anyone can give you this ogg the top of their head. Don't you have a Control Spec. or a manual for the machine? the information will be there. Someone who has the same machine and has the documents can maybe give you an answer.

AAK,

glemmorangie is sort of asking, "What have you been drinking?!?!" (pun intended--glenmorangie is a brand of very good Scotch whiskey)

These aren't <i>generally</i> published numbers (in the Service/Maintenance Manuals, or in the Control Specifications), though packagers of GE-design heavy duty gas turbines do provide the inlet air flow- and exhaust flow data to some power plant designers. The 5th stage cooling and sealing air flow is probably considered "proprietary"--as it's not measured nor controlled (both a good and a bad thing, eh?).

It would seem you are trying to do some kind of simulation or efficiency calculations and this information would be helpful to you. There are companies which develop very sophisticated efficiency softwares--including GE and packagers of GE-design heavy duty gas turbines--which don't freely share this kind of information. In fact, when I've seen the data from GE or one of its turbine packagers (again--with the exception of the 5th stage cooling and sealing air flow data, which I've never seen documented except on some VERY OLD P&IDs for VERY OLD machines), it's always been expressed as a range of flows--never with any information to relate it to IGV angle and/or fuel flow-rate and exhaust duct back-pressure, etc.

Well it sounds like an inappropriate question I guess...

Well thanks for the reply.

I will check through the control manuals again.

Your question is not inappropriate. You did not indicate whether this unit is simple cycle or combined cycle. If it is combined cycle, you may be able to get some limited air flow data if you can find the heat balances that are typically provided as part of the original proposal and during the engineering phase of the project.

The heat balances are a set of data, usually for several different ambient operating conditions, and for each fuel (if it is a dual fuel machine). They take a fair amount of time to produce, so the supplier would provide only what was required for the project. Also, they may not even have been retained on site, since their main function is to provide data for sizing equipment and piping.

If your gas turbine is simple cycle, performance curves would be your best source of information, but the data is quite limited.

otised,

Thanks very much for the clarification! We don't hear from you often enough (hint, Hint).

I wasn't saying the question was inappropriate; rather that the information isn't usually distributed by the packagers of the turbines, and some of it would likely be considered by the turbine designer (GE) as bordering on proprietary.

Apologies to AAK if my attempt at humour was inappropriate.