QA Testing... Beyond Point 2 Point

G

Gage_Stryker

Wondering what people are using for QA testing of control panels before they leave the shop.

We do a Point To Point test before they get energized, and a full test of normal operation (with real world conditions where possible) and trip all alarm points.

However, I ran across an issue in the field recently where one of our panels had intermittent failures. What it looks like at this point is that the panel shop tech stripped some of the wires slightly short (out by less than a millimeter). They would make contact in the spring terminals at the shop, pass point to point and function testing, but in the field, subject to temperature and vibration, would fail to an open state (which is weird - the nature of spring terminals is supposed to eliminate that, I thought...). The tech onsite ended up wiggling the wires and the machine magically functioned as intended.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to chase this one into the field, re-terminate all ~1000 points, but my question is... is there anything that could have caught this? What are some common test that you're using to catch this type of stuff?

I've done simple tension testing... give every wire a good yank. Using wire ferrules is also nice because you can ensure that terminal blocks are compressing the conductor as opposed to the insulation.