PLC and Gear Motor help

A

AlfredoAMD

Hello!

I'm currently working on a project which has a chain conveyor system. I know my torque and speed requirements, however, I need help choosing the correct PLC, motor, and motor controller.

Should I use a AC or DC geared motor if I want to control the motor from the PLC? and, Is it possible to control the motor via a PWM port on the PLC, eliminating the need for a motor controller?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The PWM output port of a PLC would likely be capable of maybe 10VDC, maybe a few milliamps of current. So if your motor was microscopic and your chain conveyor was made of plastic tubing moving flea specs, maybe.

You have not provided even a fraction of what might be necessary to get any meaningful help. But yes, you WILL need a motor controller of some sort. AC or DC might depend on the size involved, your budget, weight / size / environmental issues, etc. etc. etc.

As to the PLC, that depends totally on what you are expecting the PLC to accomplish. If this is a chain conveyor to move cars in a painting line at an automotive factory and needs to communicate to a DCS system, that will require a somewhat powerful PLC. If this is a chain conveyor moving jelly beans one at a time into a glass jar, you could likely use the smallest and cheapest PLC made, or maybe no PLC at all.