Questions on MkVI (EGD) - OPC Server communication

L

luissz

Hello everyone,

I have been reading posts from this site for some time and they've been really helpful, thank you!

The issues in this post are related to developing an HMI for a MkVI (or MkVIe, still not sure, first days of new job) controller. The HMIs run in CIMPLICITY and consume OPC data. I believe these are 'official' HMIs from GE for gas turbines. The controller was not developed by me but I have a copy of it running in a simulator.

The main question I have is, can EGD consumer exchanges be defined as read/write direction?

The question arises by looking at the definition of the exchanges in the MkVI software. I assume the controller is always a producer. One of its exchanges has read and write variables. Even bytes with Boolean variables have mixed read and write directions. This seems messy but not incorrect at all. The problem I get is that the OPC server I run (KEPserverEX for now) doesn't allow consumer exchanges to be defined with write direction. If I used a producer exchange it would but then, isn't the MkVI controller always a producer?
I know that the server is configured correctly for a consumer exchange (read data from MkVI). I tested this setup on another exchange.

Sorry if this question is to obvious. I'm still learning the tools and protocols of this task.

Thanks in advance for any reply.