Weld Seam Detection

G

grabbis

I have a project in my business with weld seam detection on steel tubes before bending. We are already using color sensors and the combination of magnetic flux leakage and eddy current technology. Neither of the two satisfies the requirements we need for a stable production. Because of production volume, on some of the machines we depend on 99.9998%. Does anyone have experience with other types of equipment that can do the job? We have temporarily solved the problem by interrupting the search program when the weld is not found within 10 seconds, but then we have a production stop which is not preferable.

C

Curt Wuollet

I'd try machine vision if it's a visible seam. Common edge detection should work for a straight seam.

Regards
cww

We have some extensive experience with multiple types of weld seam detection: vision, eddy current, mechanical, and LED sensor applications. We have never attempted measuring to see if 99.9998% is approachable for our application methods, but feel that above 99% is definitely doable. If we were to couple a multitude of sensor types, we should be even more accurate. We also employ a timer as a last resort for the automation, to ensure that the production line continues and is not stopping. Feel free to contact me if you want/need any other info, etc.