Humming Sound from NG Surge Vessel

B

barindra75

There are gas turbines running is NG fuel. gas booster compressor is there before gas turbine which compress the NG upto 18kg/cm2 with a surge vessel at the gas booster compressor outlet. The size of the Ng surge vessel is around 100m3.

Today I was standing nearby surge vessel (it is a standard vessel with a tubular shape, 4m dia, 8m long approx.) at the middle portion on ground. the vessel is installed at ground level with concrete base vacant at middle part. I observed a humming sound from the vessel is coming which did not last for more than 10sec. later on I tried to check whether it is coming again but I did not found it.

Can any one have any idea about this type of phenomenon?

barindra75,

Do you regularly stand near the vessel (commonly called an accumulator, if your post is understood correctly)?

When a question like this gets asked, one needs to provide a LOT of data and context (previous operating data; number of units running at the time; type of--and location of--pressure regulators; rated throughput of the compressor; flow-rate through the compressor at the time; if the flow-rate through the accumulator changed suddenly at the time of the event--did it suddenly decrease or increase; did the compressor trip; did one of the turbines trip; etc.).

Without being able to see the P&IDs for the system, and without knowing any prior history or operating data, or knowing what occurred at the time of the event, the best possible guess would be the existence of a natural harmonic frequency between the internal baffling and the flutterby valve made worse by an improperly tuned PI regulator and an intermittent 24 VDC power supply earth (ground) of the automatic liquid level detector and evaporator planetarium. There may also be a soft foundation footing on the Southeast edge of the forward aft support leg, along with two disintegrating helicoil gasket stud bolt nuts.

And the annubar of the guided wave infrared laser detector is developing an abscess which is in tune with the harmonic frequency. The keyphasor of the inactive foot of the thrust runner may be over-excited, too, resulting in a momentary negative VAr load of the rotator cuff link.

Sorry to be the bearer of poor news. Let us know how the sourcing department managers solve this event.

B
Dear Mr. CSA.

Gas turbines were running with out any interruption with almost a stable and constant load. This surge vessel is connected at the NG supply header. Normally we call the HSD surge vessel as accumulator.
During that time, no abnormality was there at the plant.

However, It is true that this phenomenon can not be explained from outside. I asked people for real life experiences like similar type of phenomenon if any.

barindra75,

I've seen (and heard of) a lot of slimy phenomena.

But I'm not aware of any slimier phenomena.

<b>Moderator fixed misspelled word. It now says similar. {{{Blush for missing it}}}</b>