Ethernet to RS485 Convertor

A

anam39

I have a situation of connecting controller with DCS. Controller have RJ45 connection only. And My DCS is placed about 500-600 meters away from that controller. How this communication will be properly established without any downlink if we use converter to convert it on RS 485 link?

L

Lynn August Linse

So my summary of your question - you have a wired Ethernet device you want to connect to a system ~500m away.

Don't think (or ask) about RS-485, as that will complicate your life greatly. Your best solution is to look for 'Ethernet range extenders', as there are many companies which will sell you a PAIR (so 2 boxes) which use wireless or telephone-like wire between and go long distance. This way, you have 100% function by Ethernet, plus you can expand to a second device or new protocols in the future.

Now, as a sub-topic, if you ONLY want 1 protocol which has a serial form as well as Ethernet (like Modbus or Hostlink), then you could buy a gateway which allows a serial Master to query an Ethernet slave. But then you are limited to 1 protocol, and it could be expensive if the DCS forces you to buy a DCS node doing Ethernet to serial on the other end.

- Lynn

Anam39, is the RJ45 connector an Ethernet port?

That's all true IF the RJ45 is Ethernet. He said his controller had an RJ45, he didn't say "Ethernet".

Lots of industrial devices uses an RJ45 connector for whatever physical layer they want, RJ45 is not necessarily an Ethernet port.