Speedtronic Mark 4 Interface Module

K

Kingrosekhan123

Please guide me for the interface module used in Speedtronic Mark 4.
like Vibration module, Speed Relay, etc.

thanks,

CSA i am waiting for you reply.

Thanks in advance

Kingrosekhan1123,

Speedtronic turbine control systems are purpose-built control systems. As such, they don't have 'interface modules.' The I/O (inputs and outputs) terminate directly to the turbine control system (sometimes by way of marshaling cabinets which are just intermediate terminal cabinets, sometimes with IS (Intrinsically Safe). barriers which are not 'interface modules' but protective devices).

Perhaps if you clarify what you mean by 'interface module' if the above was not satisfactory....

Kingrosekhan1123,

Is this what you are looking for?<pre>
Cards: Descriptions
HAFA :Auxiliary Function
HAIC :Analog Input
HCMA/C :Dual Communication
HCMB :Universal Communication Processor
HCVA :Digital to Analog Output
HIOD :Digital Input / Output
HMHA :Master Highway Controller (HLNE)
HMPJ :Microprocessor
HMPK :Microprocessor (See HMPJ)
HFIB :Operator Panel Interface
HPRA/B :pulse Rate Input
HRDB :Relay Driver
HSAA :Servo Amplifier
HSCG :High Level Isolation
HUMA/B :Universal Memory
HVDB :Video Driver
HXPD : CPU Expander
NAIA :Multiplexed Current-Loop Input
NTCF :Thermocouple Input
NVCA/B/D :Vibration and Pressure Amplifier
SIXJ :power Supply Select Board
SIXK :Relay Module Sense
SIXL :Relay Module Extender
SIXM :Interface Board</pre>

K

Kingrosekhan123

Dear Sir,

when i open the Mark IV Front door there are number of cards name as C communicator and R S T card. but they are not single card. like R card has 4 other cards named as R card.

i guess these are interface module.

there is also module for Flame Detector. its named as Flame detector amplifier. but i didnt understand it purpose.

there are number of speed repy, how these Programmable relays communicate with <R> <S> <T>.

i am working with Frame 9. but confusion to understand Mark 4 control system because of professional jealousy made my senior unable to taught me r share there experience.

Sir, i read your most of the post. i request you please guide me.

I would be thankful to you.

[email protected]

Thanks Control.com for providing seniors like CSA.

Kingrosekhan,

I've never thought of them as "interface modules" probably because they are all passive devices. They don't do anything more than change the signals to something that can be recognized (voltages in most cases; frequency in some; current in others) by the printed circuit cards (called 'printed wiring boards' in the Mark IV manuals). The "interface modules don't have any "smarts" associated with them (they don't convert analog signals to digital signals, for example). And, again, in most cases they are just meant to provide a means for the printed circuit cards in the processors (<C>, <R>, <S> & <T>) to be able to make determinations about the signals connected to the "interface modules" and carried by ribbon cables to the printed circuit cards in the processors.

If you haven't started reading them already, the Mark IV manuals (the "Maintenance Manual,' and the 'Panel Connection Diagram and Reading Aid') are two reasonably good documents. Of the two, the 'Panel Connection Diagram and Reading Aid' is by far the better of the two, as it helps you to interpret and understand the Mark IV Speedtronic elementary--which is the best drawing GE every produced for Speedtronic turbine controls. It's NOT the ONLY drawing you need to understand the control system, but it is the heart and soul of understanding the control system.

But, the most important drawings GE or packagers of GE-design heavy duty gas turbines provide with any heavy duty gas turbine package are the Schematic Piping Diagrams, or the Piping Schematics. Everyone else in the world calls them P&IDs (Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams.) Without them, it's useless to try to understand the turbine and controls. They are key to everything turbine- and auxiliary-related. Everyone who wants to "learn Mark IV or Mark V or Mark VI or Mark VIe" needs to have their very own copy of the Piping Schematics, on which they can make notes. Then they need to go out to the unit and locate as many of the devices shown on the Piping Schematics and make notes on the drawings where they are located.

You need to commit the Piping Schematics to memory. Yes, you need to study them that closely and intently. They show most of the field devices and instruments connected to the Mark IV (or Mark V or Mark VI or Mark VIe)--not all, but most.

Then you need to find a copy of the Device Summary drawing. It provides the settings for most of the field devices and instruments connected to the turbine control system. The settings for pressure switches and temperature switches which cause alarms or permit operation. You need to write the settings of the devices on the Pipin Schematic drawings next to the devices, and also on the Mark IV Speedtronic elementary where the devices are shown connected to the "interface modules."

And, then you need to find the Generator Control Panel elementary drawing, and the MCC (Motor Control Ceneter) drawings, and, if GE provided the turbine-generator, the Generator Accessory Compartment drawing and the Generator Package Wiring drawing. With these drawings, you have almost all of the field devices and instruments and their settings and adjustments and calibrations and scaling for almost all of the devices connected to the Mark IV (or Mark V or Mark IV or Mark VIe).

Where do you find these drawings, you ask? Well, many are in the Operation and Service Manuals provided with the turbine-generator and -auxiliary package. Many are not, and were provided separately with the equipment (like the Generator Control Panel, and the MCC line-up, and the Generator). But, you have to assemble all of the drawings (schematics) for the various control systems--and that means a lot of investigation and digging. In manuals; in file cabinets; by asking colleagues for copies of their drawings--or where they found their copies. But, it's all part and parcel of building your understanding of the turbine and generator and auxiliary operation and control and protection.

It seems daunting at first, but if you think of the unit as comprised of systems (just like an automobile) and learn each system and how it interoperates with other systems and the control system, you will learn more each day and gain more confidence each day.

But, it has to start with the manufacturer's manuals (for the Mark IV) and the drawings provided with the unit and auxiliaries. That's the only way.

The only way.

And it's a lot of work--that gets more and more satisfying the harder you work and the more you learn. An old colleague whom I admired and respected very much used to say two things. First was, "The harder I work--they luckier I get." And, the second was, "I'd rather be lucky than good." Think about those two sayings. Separately, and independently. They are very powerful--and if you make the commitment to do the work you will learn and get smarter and begin to understand how things work--but more importantly, how to manage risk. How to know when to take a chance, and when to not take chances.

Because those are the people who get paid the BIG bucks--the people who understand the risk involved with making decisions when troubleshooting and operating equipment (and businesses and companies and enterprises).

Hope this helps! We are here to answer questions--but not doubts.

C

controlshahid

Dear sir,

Is there any Calibration block for IGV/SRV/GCV calibration in Mark IV control system like Mark VI control system?

Dear sir,

Are you not familiar with Data List 15. 'Analog Control'? This is the usual way people stroke hydraulically-operated devices, and calibrate LVDT feedback.

If you're referring to some other function in the Mark VI, you'll need to be more specific.

Calibrations in the MkIV system are done by accessing the DATA display mode and selecting list 15. This is the Analog Control function in the MkIV and allows the user to perform calibrations.

Once in the Analog Controls display you will be able to use the Next page F0 button to move to the desired servo for calibration. Note that you will first need to have gone to the Data list 16, Logic Forcing screen to force the trip points associated with the valve to be calibrated. Then proceed to the Analog Control to perform the actual calibration sequence for the servo and feedback. Some units do not have a aux. hydraulic pump and this may require the unit to be cranking in order to provide pressure to the servo.

We have written procedures for this and if you want you may contact me at [email protected] for a copy.

C

controlshahid

Thanks for your reply.

I work in Mark VIe control system. This is the first time I am using Mark IV. Have little familiarity about Data List 15.

Control
Edit bookmark
Home
Forums
General Discussion
Power Generation
Speedtronic Mark 4 Interface Module
THREAD STARTERKINGROSEKHAN123 START DATEFeb 29, 2016
Mark Forums Read

Watched Forums

Watched Threads

Watch
Kingrosekhan123
Feb 29, 2016
Please guide me for the interface module used in Speedtronic Mark 4.
like Vibration module, Speed Relay, etc.

thanks,

CSA i am waiting for you reply.

Thanks in advance
Like ReplyReport
rwcstfs
Mar 3, 2016
Kingrosekhan1123,

Is this what you are looking for?<pre>
Cards: Descriptions
HAFA :Auxiliary Function
HAIC :Analog Input
HCMA/C:Dual Communication