Flame Detector Orientation Check

K

Kohsa

Some Honeywell flame detectors are installed in our plant, and those are some times creating some fake alarms. For troubleshooting purpose I would like to check the orientation against the mapping file. The mapping file mentioning ex E304.253 & N371.726 135 Deg. Which instrument I need to purchase to test this orientation? Anybody can give correct suggestion?

Can you elaborate on the Honeywell Flame Detectors?

>Some Honeywell flame detectors are installed in our plant,
>and those are some times creating some fake alarms. For
>troubleshooting purpose I would like to check the
>orientation against the mapping file. The mapping file
>mentioning ex E304.253 & N371.726 135 Deg. Which instrument
>I need to purchase to test this orientation? Anybody can
>give correct suggestion?

Kohsa,

This model of "flame detector" seems to be a fire detector used for detecting fire (by sensing UV flame) for plant protection. It's not a traditional flame detector which is used to detect the presence of flame in a boiler or internal combustion engine for protection of the boiler/engine.

Have you checked with the supplier of these fire detectors to see if they have any guidance for the positioning/aiming of these sensors?

A quick World Wide Web search for this model number resulted in lots of manufacturer documents, some of which may be helpful in understanding the application of this sensor.

Could there be welding processes or reflections from stainless steel insulation covers causing the false indications? Is there no redundancy of detection/sensing to prevent false alarms/trips?

Finally, the "mapping" values seem to be GPS coordinates.?.?.? And the angle may be an inclination? Who provided the "mapping" values--does it refer to aiming the sensor in a particular direction from a particular location on a structural beam or wall?

Again, this isn't a typical "flame detector"--it's more of a fire detector used for indicating uncontrolled fire (flames) in areas of a plant or building where there should be no fire (flame), as opposed to a traditional "flame detector" which is sensing the presence or absence of flame in a boiler or internal combustion engine where flame is normally present. It may use similar UV/infrared detection methods similar to those used in traditional flame detectors, but it's a fire and hazardous gas detection fire detector more than a traditional flame detector.

Please write back to let us know what you determine!