Communication with HMI

K

Kohsa

I purchased FTView studio software for HMI and I need to communicate with my existing HMI through ethernet communication. Any one can describe that how I can establish the communication between my software installed PC and HMI? For changing user password which file I need to upload from the HMI? .mer file or the complete backup file?

B

Bob Peterson

There are a couple of issues here. First off there's no guarantee that you can upload the MER file that's in the panelview and do anything with it. Especially with older versions of the software the file that is actually in the HMI cannot be converted backwards. Later version allow it to be converted, but it has to be set up that way by the original programmer. Especially with certain OEMs, they like to Blackmail you with this kind of thing so you have to pay them if you want to do anything with the equipment they sold you.

There's also the issue of how the password was actually implemented. The built-in password system is so convoluted and difficult to work with that many people just won't use it. It is much simpler to just create something yourself. That means the password might be stored in the plc, or it might be stored in a memory tag in the HMI.

As far as establishing communication, it is pretty straightforward and well-defined in the manuals that come with the software.

I
Hi Kohsa,

Do you want to open FTView ME file or runtime file using FTView Studio for ME and then you wan to to change password and setup communication?

If so, you will need to have copy of either project folder or MER file.

If you have copy project folder, what you have to do to open on FTView STudio ME is to create new empty project with tittle same with project you want to open. then copy all of files from project copy into each of respective folder of created project and then add each of component (displays, global objects) into FTView Studio.

If you have MER file only, what you have to do is to use FTView ME application tool to restore runtime application.

Once restored into your FTview ME Studio, you will find that you have to re-create communication link and security setup manually. please create communication link at RSLinx enterprise with same actual device shortcut name that used by panelview.

Hope this help