Weighing Scale Load Variation

S

sreevinsreenivas

Hi,

Our weighing scale (HSC350) is not working properly.maximum weight we have to weigh is 1500g. But without any load the scale shows 1302g.

I have checked the load cell.(HBM PW2DC3MR MAX CAPACITY 7.2 KG). The result is as shown below

1. I gave 10v between excitation Positive and negative. Measure output voltage between signal positive and negative which was equal to -6.2mv.
So mv/v= -.62
The data sheet value is + or - 0.1 mv/v

2. Isolation resistance is >2 G ohm (in data sheet). I could not measure it as the multi meter has only Mega ohm range.

3. Resistance between excitation positive and negative is 366 ohm (300-500 ohm in data sheet).

Resistance between signal positive and negative is 365 ohm (300-500 ohm in data sheet).

4. Resistance between excitation + and signal + is 268.7 ohm.
Resistance between excitation + and signal + is 280.7 ohm.
I think the difference between them should be <= 1 ohm but it is 12 ohm.

First time i am dealing with a problem like this so i need your valuable suggestion to confirm whether the load cell is good or bad.

Regards
sreevin

It is possible your load cell has been overstressed to give it a permanent deflection (bent out of shape) Take all the load off it and measure again it should be close to spec.

S

sreevinsreenivas

Thanks for your reply. The above given results are obtained by removing all the load and taking the load cell out of the system. So can I confirm that the load cell is damaged?

Regards
sreevin

> So can I confirm that the load cell is damaged?

I hate to say it without hands on experience... but it sure appears that way from here. :)

The load cell should be designed with some form of mechanical stop that will make contact to divert the stress when the cell is overloaded.