Re: How to Make a Solenoid Cycle

C

Confused54321

Can anyone help me figure out a way to make a solenoid valve cycle? I want to be able to run a test about 10,000 times and have the cycle count it as it goes along as well. Is there a device or do solenoids come with these kind of features on it?

It's a big world with thousands of vendors and maybe someone makes a solenoid valve with a timer and counter, but I doubt it.

You need a repeat cycle timer that will turn the solenoid on, then off, over and over again. Google repeat cycle timer.

Its output contacts need to carry the current for the solenoid, which is an inductive (not a resistive) load. The contacts need a snubber.

Make sure that the timer output has a timing diagram similar this one:
https://s13.postimg.org/ho7pjnm0n/Repeat_cycle_timer.png

The timer output can likely drive the input to a counter module as well. Google programmable counter or cycle counter.

Micro PLC's do this sort of thing, but the learning curve is pretty steep.

W
You need to tell us what your resources are, e.g. have a PLC with digital outputs sized to handle solenoids (program couple of timers with a counter), electronic lab (have to build a circuit), a drum timer (program it, count the revolutions), electronic or pneumatic timers (wire them up, use a counter), etc. Some form of pulse width modulated (PWM) output (e.g. with a duty cycle) like they use on electric heaters might be the way to go. You could also consider using an Arduino or a Raspberry Pi as they have PWM and relay outputs and shields are readily available.

It might also help if you would share your end goal. To get good help from a mailing list like this, it is always helpful to provide a clear technical statement of your question or problem, just like you would want someone to provide to you if they were asking you for help.

Regards,
Bill

William (Bill) L. Mostia, Jr. PE
ISA Fellow, SIS-TECH Fellow,
FS Eng. (TUV Rheinland)
SIS-TECH Solutions, LP
713-909-2139 (o)

"No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced." Neil deGrasse Tyson

Any information is provided on a Caveat Emptor basis.