MK5 HMI Upgrade

We recently upgraded our mk5 speedtronic hmi to GE's new hmi with ST toolbox. Since upgrade mk5 studio has stop working, therefore, dynamic rung is the only diagnostic tool available to view csp for trouble shooting. this proves to be a more difficult tool to use compared with mk5 studio as the long name descriptions are not available in dynamic rung display, and the ability to seamlessly navigate from point to point is not possible with dynamic rung display. the new hmi has ST toolbox feature but is not able to open csp.

is there any other software available third party or OEM that works similarly to mk5 studio? or can mk5 studio be configured to work with upgraded hmi? this was discussed with GE onsite field controls TA at length, but no solution offered.

andstennett,

My condolences on the upgrade.

Go to Settings in MarkV Studio, and make sure TCI is selected (has a check-mark to the left).

Then click on configuration (under Settings) and click on the TCI tab. It should show "Global System v13.1" and "DataDictionary v9.0".

You may need to stop MarkV Studio and re-start it, but that should help it to run.

[NOTE: This presumes MarkV Studio is installed on the new and improved GE Mark V HMI, and not on another PC which is connected to a GE Mark V HMI via an Ethernet connection over the PDH.]

Please write back to let us know if this works. If it doesn't, please provide more details about the set-up at the site (is MarkV Studio running on a new and improved GE Mark V HMI, or on another PC? the Configuration settings you found in MarkV Studio; etc.).

Hope this helps!

There is another Mark V dynamic rung display available but only on a third-party HMI (CSE Engineering Inc.'s <ITC> IBECS Turbine Control HMI; www.cse-eng-inc.com for more information).

Thanks for your reply.

i can confirm that mk5studio is installed on the new upgraded HMI and never worked since installed. it worked on the previously installed HMI and was a great asset in trouble shooting issues on the unit.

the configuration settings as found has gsm selected and not tci.
after selecting tci, It showed "Global System v13.1" and "DataDictionary v9.0". but i did not stop and restart tci, as i was not sure what effect it would have for the running plant or the risk of loosing HMI function after reset.

i am awaiting your further advice.

Andstennett,

There is another company that has a very similar product for viewing MkV logic rungs such as what was provided in Studio. www.CSTFS.com has a system that has been being used for over eight years on MkVs for just this and other advanced troubleshooting reasons.

Hi. We have 2 GE turbine with mark5 speedtronic under DOS OS. we wanted to change HMI ( I ) with a new computer.
Therefore we choose an advantech motherboard with ISA port. we install all required hardware and software and finally it connect to speedtronic and work correctly. But we have one problem: Switching between pages is delayed. Exactly for every page that the CPU needs to refer to g:\exec\anim.exe, it opens with a delay of about 3 to 4 seconds. Has anyone had this problem or has an idea to fix it?
thanks.

The problem is probably the video display card and/or driver. The video resolution on <I>s wasn’t very high, and the video display card/driver may have trouble with converting the information to such a low resolution. (I think it was VGA resolution; pretty low resolution by today’s standards and cards/drivers.)

That’s all I can offer/suggest at this point. I hope it is useful.