GE Diagnostic Alarms

M

modulusyoung

Hi,

We have two LMS turbines running on MarkVIe. The controllers always produced diagnostic alarms at an average rate of ~70k per day which captured by the alarm server.

I don't want to explain in detail of the alarms here but we did communicate with GE themselves on this issue. However, the reponse wasn't really helpful.

Is there a way to not broadcast the diagnostic alarms at all or if not possible, is there a way to not broadcast the alarm from the WorkstationST OPC AE server?

Regards
Khairul

I'm really curious what the diagnostic is, to generate 70k a day.

Anyway, it is easy enough to disable sending diagnostics from the OPC AE server (presumably to avoid sending 70k alarms to your DCS?). Open your workstation in ToolboxST, select the "OPC AE Server" tab. In the tree under Publish Settings, select the device with the I/O generating annoying diagnostics. In the detail view, set Publish Diagnostics to False, build and download the workstation device. This turns off all diagnostics from that controller, of course, which may not be a good idea. You're much better off resolving the original chattering diagnostic.

I don't know of any way to disable the generation of diagnostics in the first place. You'll still see them in the WorkstationST alarm viewer, but it has excellent filtering capability.

Khairul,

The only other times I've heard of so many Diagnostic Alarms is when there was serious problems with the power supply/grounding system--and when factory- and commissioning personnel had left a LOT of unused inputs and outputs enabled.

If you're unwilling or unable to discuss the Diagnsotic Alarms here, there's not much we can do for you. I think you need to have another discussion with GE and ask them if they can't stop the Diagnostic Alarms then can they provide a solution for blocking them from being broadcast via OPC AE Server?

I've not had a chance to get too deep into WorkstationST Alarm Viewer, but I would think that would be the best means of blocking alarms--at least from the HMIs. The Mark VIe system--including the HMIs (if they're CIMPLICITY-based HMIs) use WorkstationST to "translate" from the proprietary GE Alarm- and Event communication protocol to OPC. I don't know if there's a method for configuring the "background" conversion task from broadcasting certain Alarms or Events. But, GE would be the best entity to answer that question. As with all allegedly standard or open communications protocols there are ALWAYS manufacturer-specific idiosyncracies which aren't documented.

I presume the reason there hasn't been any response (and I may just be speaking for myself) is because there is so little information here. How long has this been persisting?

Did it just start recently?

Did some event, like a lightning strike, trigger the Diagnostic Alarms?

What are the Diagnostic Alarms--are they specific to certain locations or I/O Packs?

Do they happen when the unit is running, or when it's shut down?

Do the two units share a common power source (125 VDC battery, or UPS/inverter)?

Do the same alarms get annunciated by both units? Or more from one unit than another?

There are some Diagnostic Alarms which can be enabled or disabled, and some even have configurable/adjustable limits--but many do not. And we just don't know enough about the nature of the ~70,000 Diagnostic Alarms you experience every day.

But, without more information--a lot more information--there's not a lot which we can tell you. Again, the whole background conversion from Mark VIe Alarms and Events to OPC AE is considered proprietary. And, this is just an almost overwhelming number of Diagnostic Alarms. One could say it's alarming.

(Get it? Alarming.)