Today is...
Friday, February 24, 2017
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
EtherCAT with CTC’s master lets your multivendor network play well together...
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
No Connection RS485
No connection to from controller rs485 to PC.

Hello all,

I am having an issue. I am trying to connect to a controller that has an RS485 connection.

The controller is a Hired Hand Evolution 3000.

I am using a RS485 to USB adapter for my laptop. I tried running CAS modbus scanner. I selected the COM port and as well has the rates. I set the controller to address 1.

When ever I try to scan it says connection failed. I double checked my wiring even tried crossing the wires. Still nothing. I went through and tried different baud rates and hex/ascii and RTU. Still nothing.

So I launched the companys software the comes with the Controller for connection to a pc and it load just fine.

But for some reason when i try to scan with CAS Scanner i get nothing.

RS-485 is just a transport mechanism for binary bits. Any number of protocols, sets of rules for communication and how data is packed can run over RS-485.

I seriously doubt that the communications protocol is Modbus, therefore, using a Modbus master utility won't do anything.

A Google search brought up only one manual for the Hired Hand Evolution 3000. A search of that manual does not hit on any of the following terms:
modbus
Modbus
RS-485
RS485
serial

The daisy chain 3 wire comm link suggests that the digital comm hardware layer is, likely, 2 wire RS-485. But given that Modbus isn't mentioned, nor is a Modbus slave table provided for data registers, it's unlikely that the communications is Modbus, hence the CAS Modbus utility will not work.