Today is...
Monday, December 11, 2017
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
EtherCAT with CTC’s master lets your multivendor network play well together...
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Magnetically Coupled Drives
Can I use a magnetically coupled drive work through 2 inch thick polypropylene?

Hi,

I have been asked to quote a machine that would have an 18 inches diameter x 18 inch face stainless steel roll that would be submerged at least 2/3 of its height into a tank filled with some sort of non-solvent solution.

The (potential) customer has asked if we make the tank out of polypropylene (most likely 2 inches thick), whether it is feasible to use a magnetically coupled drive so that the roll shafts would not have to go through the tank walls. The customer says they have done this before, but never with such a large roll. I asked if they could let me know the drive manufacturer they used but my contact didn't know.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this sort of application, whether it sounds doable, and whether you could recommend a drive manufacturer (or magnetic coupling manufacturer) we can look into.

Thanks and best regards,
Paul

We purchase a lot of Mag-drive pumps, but the barrier there is just a thin layer of stainless.

I think 2 inches would be a tall order at least if you have any significant torque requirement.