Today is...
Monday, February 27, 2017
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
Watch an animation of a conveyor stacking operation demonstrating the use of a move on a gear command.
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Allen Bradley Communications Question
Is it possible to set up a Read MSG with a PLC with RS5000 through Data Highway Plus?

I have a SLC 5/04 and I want to see if it is possible to set up a Read MSG with a plc with RS5000 through Data Highway Plus.

I have upgraded a SLC 5/04 to an L71 processor. I had all my integration done between the original PLC through Data Highway as a read MSG. I have been trying with not much success at getting the SLCs to read the L71. I can get the L71 to read and write to the SLCs through the RS5000 software. Is it possible for RS500 to read RS5000 through DH? If so what do I need to set up?

By Jeremy Pollard on 4 January, 2017 - 6:15 pm

You would need a DH+ interface on the L71. Are we to assume that you have DH+ connectivity to the SLC already? You would use the 1756-UM514 comms manual to setup the routing tables for the SLC to use

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Caring Canuckian!
Crisis, necessity, change

By Ikhtiander on 5 January, 2017 - 8:49 pm
1 out of 1 members thought this post was helpful...

Hello Louis,

It is possible for AB SLC controller to read/write data located on Controllogix controller thru DH+ network. To do this, you will need DH+ card (1756-DHRIO) installed at Controllogix chassis, then one the port connected to daisy chain DH+ network to SLC.

At SLC side you will need to setup MSG instruction to read data/write on Controllogix side the same way as to read/write data to PLC-5 controller.

At Controllogix side, you will need to configure port of DHRIO card that you connect to DH+ network as a DH+ port.

then you also need to configure PLC5/SLC Mapping on the menu : Logic - Mapp PLC/SLC message:

http://content.mynah.com/vimnet-webhelp/Content/Resources/Images/rslogix5000/map_plc_slc_messages.png
http://content.mynah.com/vimnet-webhelp/Content/Resources/Images/rslogix5000/map_plc_slc_messages-string_data_tag_to_file_40.png

Hope this will be helpful, let me know if you need more help

Best regards
Ikhtiander