Today is...
Wednesday, April 26, 2017
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
A tutorial introduction to programming using the QuickBuilder Programming Environment.
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Barriers for Pressure Sensors, Temperature Sensors, and Solenoids.
Requirement of barriers in control panel (safe area) for instruments (sensors & solenoids) which are in gas group IIA/IIB. (application compressor)

Hello!

refer my below query regarding requirement of barriers in safe area.
Suppose Compressor system will be kept in hazardous area (gas group IIA/IIB) & relay based starter cum control panel will be in safe area. Pressure sensors, temp sensors & solenoids will be mounted on compressor system.

Do I need to use safe area barriers for the pressure & temp.sensors (4-20mA) at panel incoming? reason? & whether these are also required for solenoid valves (24 v dc) reason?

please guide me.

Thanks in advance.

regards,
Shailesh

1 out of 1 members thought this post was helpful...

If you have any machine in a hazardous area then you need to prevent any possibility of explosion by way electrical energy.
There are various ways of achieving this - using intrinsically safe barriers being one of them.

I get the impression you need a Hazop Study to determine the best solution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazard_and_operability_study

1 out of 1 members thought this post was helpful...

I think using barriers assumes the field device can be made intrinsically safe, I'm not sure solenoids fall into that category.

90% of my work is in Hazardous locations but I haven't bought a barrier in years.