Today is...
Tuesday, June 27, 2017
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
EtherCAT with CTC’s master lets your multivendor network play well together...
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Tower Lighting
I have access to a 325' tower for my remote station, and like to assist the tower owner where possible. The tower lighting is controlled by a light sensitive switch working a relay which actually controls the lights.
By Ajanthika on 18 March, 2017 - 8:35 pm

I have access to a 325' tower for my remote station, and like to assist the tower owner where possible. The tower lighting is controlled by a light sensitive switch working a relay which actually controls the lights. The relay controller appears to be home made and did have a large open frame relay in it - until the contacts completely disappeared! The actual load from the lights is about 1200w on each of two phases. I replaced the relay with a 30A contactor which I thought was overkill and it was fine for several years, but that is now getting unreliable. Clearly there is a pretty heavy switch on surge with incandescent lamps, but this must be true at all tower sites. What do the professionals do? Could I use a flasher like the one below instead?

http://www.clrwtr.com/PDF/SymCom/SSAC-FS-FA-Series.pdf

I think the very first feature - Up to 10x longer lamp life would make it a no brainer.

The failsafe design to meet FAA regulations would be a selling feature depending on where you are located.

I assume you are flashing the lamps

I don't profess to know anything about tower beacons but I would think they might keep the power on at a reduced level to keep the filament warm and avoid thermal shock.

Hopefully an expert will enlighten us PTP