Today is...
Friday, November 24, 2017
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
A demonstration of EtherCAT control of linear motors using the CTC EtherCAT master.
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Scale Error Before PID Loop?
Do I need to scale the error value before PID control algorithm? Error range -4095 to +4095, manipulation output range from 0-1800.

Do I need to scale the error value before PID control algorithm? Error will range from -4095 to +4095. Manipulation output will range from 0-1800.

I'm familiar with control theory and tuning principles. However, now I'm designing a control system myself and can't figure out what value ranges to use for inputting into the controller equation Gc.

So I'm using 2 ADC's to measure the Reference and Feedback. Those each give me a value of 0-4095. This is a range of -4095 to +4095.

Ultimately I am trying to control the phase firing angle of a SCR with 0.1 degree precision (I divide up the 180 degrees for each half phase into 1800 pieces).

My question is do I need to scale that value somehow before applying the gains Kp, Ki, Kd for the PID loop?

Should I divide Error by 2.275 (4095/1800) so that my error is scaled to the range of my output?

Thank you