Today is...
Thursday, October 19, 2017
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
Wiring and programming your servos and I/O just got a lot easier...
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Honeywell UV Flame Detector
UV signal required for a Honeywell UV flame detector to recognise a flame.
By Daniel_Beamish on 8 June, 2017 - 11:17 am

Hi,

Currently, Honeywell UV flame scanners (C7927A 1016) pointed directly at flames in a combustion chamber to detect the flame. The problem with this is keeping the scanner cool to avoid damage.

I am trying to send the UV signal through a fiber optic cable ~3 feet away using UV grade fused silica (quartz) in order to better protect the flame scanner.

The problem is I do not know much about fiber optics, and am having a great deal of trouble trying to determine how much light needs to hit the detector, and how many fibers/what fiber size I need to send an adequate amount of signal.

Also if anyone has a vendor they would recommend for the fused quartz fiber optic cable, I need around 200 feet of it.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Daniel

1 out of 1 members thought this post was helpful...

Honeywell's Iris line has a commercial solution - fiber optic extension for its (formerly Iris) line of flame detectors.
It expects a steady supply of instrument grade purge/cooling air.

fiber optic cable:
https://products.ecc.emea.honeywell.com/europe/pdf/en-fasa-instruction-manual-69-2683-nl05r0315.pdf

A flame detector, analyzer and adapter compatible with the FO extension cable.
https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/Techlit/TechLitDocuments/66-0000s/66-2069EP.pdf

Flame scanners are reliable if properly installed.

If you are monitoring the main flame, you'll likely need an air purge. If it is a dirty/corrosive combustion process, two separate purge connections are not uncommon. The same applies to IR scanners.