Today is...
Saturday, February 24, 2018
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
EtherCAT with CTC’s master lets your multivendor network play well together...
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Allen Bradley PanelView - PC communication
Allen Bradley PanelView - PC communication

Hi,

I have an Allen Bradley PanelView 550; the cat # is 2711-K5A2 ser E. Also I have a laptop with the communication card, cat # 1784-PCMK/B. In my laptop I have installed the PanelBuilder 32 software with the RSlinx revision 2.31.00. Also I'm using communication cable cat # 1784-pcm4/B. One side is connected to the PCMK card on my laptop and the other side is connected to RJ45 DH485 port of the PanelView.

My question is: Is it possible with this setup to establish a communication between my laptop and the PanelView (Down loading/Up loading program)?

If the answer is YES, which driver I should I select from the list "Available Driver Types:" in the RSlinx and its associated configuration parameters?

The 2711-K5A2 DH485 port gets 24V from the PLC to run its port. I don't know if the PCMK card supplies 24V but probably like the PIC
it does not. I simply made a PIC extension cable using a RJ45 socket and RJ45 male and brought out the 24V lines from the male so I could power up the PV550 port without using a SLC-500 CPU to provide power.

I guess the assumption is that you will always have the PV550 hooked up to the SLC500.

> I guess the assumption is that you will always have the
> PV550 hooked up to the SLC500.

I have had better luck using PLC Passthrough with these little PVs rather than the direct connection.

Thanks guys for your answers.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that, the PanelView is connected to SLC5/03 through the DH485 interface plug (AMP connector) and my PC connected to RJ-45 connector of the PV. With this setup I could communicate with the SLC, I could download/upload, modify RSlogic500 program. My concern is I want to use the same setup to program the PanelView using the PanelBuilder32 software. I want to modify the graphics on the panel view, but I don't know which driver I should select in Rslinx to establish a communication between my PC and the PanelView.

By Bob Peterson on 14 June, 2017 - 1:08 pm

This is an ancient setup and I am not 100% sure but I don't think you can hook up directly like this. if the engineer was smart, he added a Net-AIC device to make hooking up simpler.

if the SLC is a SLC5/03 I think you can use the serial port on the SLC in passthru mode to download to the panelview, but it has been a very long time since I have seen a configuration like this so I don't recall for sure.

It seems to me that I recall that this series of products was enough of a nuisance in DH485 mode that I generally used a compact flash card of some sort to xfer runtime files.

--
Bob
http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

Bob,

thanks for your information

>thanks for your information

https://panasonic-plc.com/ab-plc/