Today is...
Monday, June 26, 2017
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
A demonstration of EtherCAT control of linear motors using the CTC EtherCAT master.
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Modbus to Connect Inverter to PC
I would like to learn Modbus RTU in order to connect an inverter to a PC for monitoring the status of the inverter.

I would like to learn Modbus RTU in order to connect an inverter to a pc for monitoring the status of the inverter.

I have done a bit of reading about modbus, but I am unable to fully understand its capabilities until I can "play", make mistakes, and learn from my mistakes.

I am using Simply Modbus to send the machine request to the inverter (E500-2S0022). I am using a USB to serial converter (rs-485). I have triple checked my software settings and the settings in the inverter. I have sent sample requests from the owners manual (01 03 D0 00 00 02 FC CB), but I do not receive a response from the slave.

I am not sure where to start with my troubleshooting.

Thank you,
Ben

If you do not receive a response from the slave at all you should focus on the RS485 connection and/or communication settings. Verify baud rate, data bits, stop bits,... are correct. Is the Modbus address in the VFD configured correctly? Try switching that A and B wires.
If the slave is addressed correctly it will always respond to a request. In case of an error in the request the slave responds with an error code.