Today is...
Tuesday, July 25, 2017
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
A tutorial introduction to programming using the QuickBuilder Programming Environment.
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Does Somebody Know What This Communication Processor Is For?
Found a Siemens PCI communication processor in an old computer and I don't know what it is

I got my hands on a old computer that was used near a 'big' automated machine. Inside it, it had a Siemens PCI card with the following product id: 6gk1161-3aa00. After I did some research I found out it was a Communication processor used in the automation industry. Could somebody give me a bit more information what this PCI card could be, and maybe what it could be used for? I only have basic knowledge about automation equipment, so please don't make it to difficult for me to understand. And sorry for my horrible English.

Thanks in advance!

By Dick Caro on 15 July, 2017 - 8:56 am

I did a Google search on that model number and found this:

COMMUNICATION PROCESSOR CP 1613
COMMUNICATION PROCESSOR CP 1613 PCI CARD (32BIT; 33MHZ; 5V) FOR CONNECTION TO IND. ETHERNET (10/100MBIT/S) WITH ITP AND RJ 45 PORT VIA S7-1613, TF-1613, PG-1613 AND S7-REDCONNECT, INCL. DRIVERS F. MS WINDOWS (32BIT) NT 4.0 WS/SERVER,2000PRO/SERVER XP PRO, 2003 SERVER.

You can find this at: https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/products/6gk1161-3aa00/communication-processor-cp-1613?pid=68787&mlfb=6GK1161-3AA00&mfn=ps&lc=en-US

It appears to be a common Ethernet interface card for 10/100Mbps Ethernet that is designed to be used with Windows operating system.

Dick Caro
See my Blog: http://dickcaro.blogspot.com/
Ask me about becoming a CAP
Richard H. Caro, CEO, CMC Associates
ISA Life Fellow
Certified Automation Professional (ISA)

Buy my books at the ISA Bookstore:
Wireless Networks for Industrial Automation (New 4th Edition)
Automation Network Selection (New 3rd Edition)
Consumers Guide to Fieldbus Network Equipment for Process Control