Today is...
Monday, March 19, 2018
Welcome to, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
EtherCAT with CTC’s master lets your multivendor network play well together...
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
1784-PKTX Problems
Changing out 1784-PKTX to CLogix 1756-DHRIO and ENET comm setup. Help needed with comm setup.

So I made the mistake of changing my shop PC from 32 bit to 64 bit so I could install extra RAM.

After much searching and discussing with others, there are no 64bit drivers that I can find for the 1784-PKTX comm card.

Unless someone has found some, I have to do an alternate setup for talking from PC to DH+ processors.

Have RSLinx version 3.71 installed
Running RS5 Ver 7.10

Can anyone give me a link or tell me how to setup RSLinx to be able to connect to the PLC's

Thank you,
Bruce B

By Bob Peterson on 16 August, 2017 - 8:29 pm

There are no cheap answers. You could buy a control logix rack and put a DHRIO card in it and connect up to it via an Ethernet card.
I think there might be a pro soft card to interface between ethernet and data Highway Plus.

So I was able to get the DHRIO card working and can now get online with the PLC5 thru RS5 and should be able to access the SLC500 with RS500.

Only thing I have to figure out now is the DH485 communications.

I do testing for various people and need to be able to access all 3 platforms. I don't mind learning, but need to keep the last little bit of hair over my bald spot.

IF anyone knows of a working 64 bit driver for the PKTX comm card it would be appreciated.

It is a good card to have if you run multiple platforms.

Thank you

For DH+, we use one of these:

It works great connecting to either the 3-pin phoenix connector or the round fake mini-DIN. It's also supposed to work for RIO with the right firmware update.

For DH485, we use:

Both have been simple and reliable to use. The Prosoft gateway can also be used to connect an Ethernet/IP HMI to a PLC-5 or SLC 5/04 via DH+.

We had issues with PanelView programming (FactoryTalk View Studio) as it required a 32 bit PC. We got around that when we upgraded by installing VMware operating as a 32 bit system inside the 64 bit Windows 7. I am assuming that your hardware is still able to use the 1784-PKTX card (our new PCs won't).

A VM has its own issues but you may be able to use that as a way to use the old 32 bit driver.

Russ K